[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Vishay Gupta

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 12 12:32:44 PDT 2017

Hello Vishay,

RXNORM is one of a small handful of ontologies in BioPortal with a “flat” model, meaning that the ontology has no (or very little) hierarchy.  For flat ontologies we offer a search box, rather than a class tree for navigating terms.  On the classes page for RXNORM [1], you can start typing in the “Jump To:” text box in the upper left portion of the page.  BioPortal will then display a dropdown list of terms using autocomplete functionality based on the characters you type.  You can select a class from the list and BioPortal will display the details in the right-hand side of the page.

The classes are also available via our REST API, e.g.:

http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/RXNORM/classes

[1] http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/RXNORM?p=classes