[bioontology-support] Question about "synonyms" in LOINC

Jessie Tenenbaum, Ph.D. jessie.tenenbaum at duke.edu
Thu Apr 13 08:33:51 PDT 2017

Hello-

Can you help me understand these 3 different terms from LOINC for "Blood Pressure"? They all map to the same CUI (is that the UMLS ID?) but seem to have 3 unique LOINC IDs

http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/LNC/LP90874-6

http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/LNC/LP40259-1

 http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/LNC/MTHU008342

I'm wondering why they differ, where they come from, and why they do not render within the hierarchy of LOINC- selecting them after searching shows them as a sibling of top level concepts. (see below)
While I'm asking, can you also tell me how "Associated with" is populated? It too differs between the 3.

Thanks,
Jessie

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D2B449.D2283B70]
Jessica Tenenbaum, Ph.D., FACMI
Division of Translational Bioinformatics
Dept of Biostatistics & Bioinformatics
Duke University School of Medicine
jessie.tenenbaum at duke.edu<mailto:jessie.tenenbaum at duke.edu>
(919) 684-7308