[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Jaime Parra MD, phD

Samson Tu swt at stanford.edu
Fri Apr 14 13:40:20 PDT 2017

Hi,

RN, RB, and SIB are UMLS abbreviations [1]:

RB	has a broader relationship
RL	the relationship is similar or "alike". the two concepts are similar or "alike". In the current edition of the Metathesaurus, most relationships with this attribute are mappings provided by a source, named in SAB and SL; hence concepts linked by this relationship may be synonymous, i.e. self-referential: CUI1 = CUI2. In previous releases, some MeSH Supplementary Concept relationships were represented in this way.
RN	has a narrower relationship
RO	has relationship other than synonymous, narrower, or broader
RQ	related and possibly synonymous.
RU	Related, unspecified
SIB	has sibling relationship in a Metathesaurus source vocabulary.

With best regards,
Samson

[1] https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/knowledge_sources/metathesaurus/release/abbreviations.html

> On Apr 14, 2017, at 12:21 PM, Jennifer Leigh Vendetti <vendetti at stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello Jaime,
>

>> On Apr 13, 2017, at 11:40 AM, support at bioontology.org <mailto:support at bioontology.org> wrote:
>>
>> Name: Jaime Parra MD, phD
>>
>> Email: jparragomez at gmail.com <mailto:jparragomez at gmail.com>
>> Location: http%3A%2F%2Fbioportal.bioontology.org <http://2fbioportal.bioontology.org/>%2Fontologies%2FWHO-ART%3Fp%3Dclasses%26conceptid%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fpurl.bioontology.org <http://252fpurl.bioontology.org/>%252Fontology%252FWHO%252F0432
>>

>> Feedback:
>>
>> Hello! I am trying to understand some of the data you present in the website, but I can not understand some terms like
>> Inverse of RN
>> Inverse of RB
>> inverse of SIB
>>
>> I can not find these terms in the glossary... Thank you!
>>

> “Inverse of RB” is a data property, and the other two are object properties that were defined in this ontology by the ontology authors.  I’ve included screen shots below of these properties while viewing this ontology in the Protege ontology editing application.
>
> It doesn’t look like the ontology authors included a textual definition of what these properties mean.  I would suggest contacting the ontology authors with this question (they listed a support email address of support at who.int).
>
> Kind regards,
> Jennifer
>

> <Screenshot 2017-04-14 12.16.12.png>
>
> <Screenshot 2017-04-14 12.16.19.png>

Samson Tu                                                      email: swt at stanford.edu
Senior Research Engineer                              web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
Center for Biomedical Informatics Research 	phone: 1-650-725-3391
Stanford University                                          fax: 1-650-725-7944