[bioontology-support] question: license of using bioportal API

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 18 09:04:03 PDT 2017

Hello Bolan,

Apologies that yesterday I misspoke about BioPortal licensing.  The BioPortal software uses the 2-Clause BSD license [1], not the 3-Clause.

[1] https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause

On Apr 17, 2017, at 8:29 AM, Jennifer Leigh Vendetti <vendetti at stanford.edu<mailto:vendetti at stanford.edu>> wrote:

Hello Bolan,

On Apr 16, 2017, at 2:26 PM, Linghu, Bolan <Bolan.Linghu at pfizer.com<mailto:Bolan.Linghu at pfizer.com>> wrote:

To whom it may concern,

Thanks so much for providing bioportal resources!

I am a new user from Pfizer and our group would like to use Bioportal API for annotating and mapping some phenotype resources for research purpose. Could you please kindly confirm the license of bioportal would allow us to use the Bioportal API tools?

BioPortal is open source [1] and freely available under the BSD 3-Clause license [2].  In order to use the REST API, you need an API key.  Instructions for getting one are available on our wiki [3].

[1] https://github.com/ncbo
[2] https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause
[3] https://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/BioPortal_Help#Getting_an_API_key