[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from tomc

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Sun Aug 6 16:31:29 PDT 2017

Tom,

Thank you for your input, appreciate your taking the time.

1) Yes!. It is a good point that we should make the site exclusively https, and I see there are indeed places that really need it. We'll take care of this, thanks for pointing it out. (I know in one or two cases we came across a library that isn't compatible, but we need to see if we can carve out an exception for those cases, if any remain.)

2) Where are you seeing the recapture that breaks? I was just able to successfully submit feedback with and without https protocol, at least from Chrome.

3) We agree, and BioPortal is working correctly in this particular case. Under normal operations, the portal reports "page not found" to a URL like http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/BUNNYFOOFOO. When you are seeing a 500 error, that is an actual server error, for example because too many requests are pending. Often performing a reload (sometimes after clearing your cache) will fix this.  While we have seen other cases where we are returning 500 errors inappropriately, I believe we have fixed all that we've seen. We'll continue to watch for those specific situations.

John