[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from michelle

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 29 16:49:11 PDT 2017

Hi Michelle,

On Aug 29, 2017, at 4:26 PM, Michelle Futornick <futo at stanford.edu<mailto:futo at stanford.edu>> wrote:

Thanks Jennifer.

Re "It's worth noting that this submission is an RDF file, which is not one of the formats we officially support."

Is there a list somewhere of what models BioPortal supports for submission and in what serializations/formats?

We accept OWL, OBO, and SKOS ontologies via our UI or our REST endpoint. Roughly twice per year, we also execute a separate process to import a set of UMLS ontologies from the National Library of Medicine.

Internally we use the OWL API for loading / parsing ontologies. The OWL API supports a variety of serializations - the complete list is available on their introductory documentation page:

https://github.com/owlcs/owlapi/wiki

It seems like BioPortal does accept OWL ontologies expressed in RDF/XML.

Yes, definitely. This is probably the most commonly used format for OWL submissions.