[bioontology-support] Downloading Mappings in Bulk

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 31 18:28:40 PST 2017

Hello Erik,

> Is there a way to get some kind of mapping files, containing many mappings in one large chunk?

I'm afraid the short answer is 'no'. Again with input from Manuel:

The syntactic mappings of type LOOM and CUI do not live anywhere, they are generated at query time (on the fly) using the mapping LOOM predicate (for LOOM mappings) or the CUI predicates (for CUI mappings). You cannot get a dump unless you traverse all ontologies and request them with the API or the SPARQL queries implemented in the API.

At some point the materialized version of LOOM and CUI mappings was growing so quickly that we decided to make this change.

The REST mappings are indexed in 4store (our backend) because they are submitted by users and we cannot implement queries that generate these on the fly.

I appreciate your interest in this, and it would seem advantages. With BioPortal having over 33.7 million mappings, I think we would have to implement a batch job to run at user request (with user credentials), then post the results to an FTP site or similar. It wouldn't be a trivial thing, sorry to say.

John