[bioontology-support] a couple errors and suggestions

Michelle Futornick futo at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 6 16:30:21 PDT 2017

Errors in BioPortal:

1) I went to the UMLS slice. Under “Ontology Visits in full BioPortal”, I clicked on the CPT bar to go to the CPT ontology and I got this error: We're sorry but something has gone wrong. We have been notified of this error.

Same error when trying to click the bars for MEDDRA, SNOMEDCT and NDDF.

Clicking on the RXNORM bar works.

2) When viewing a slice, the link to the slice definition in the message at top “You are viewing the [slicename] BioPortal Slice” works when you are on the slice “home page” such as umls.bioportal.bioontology.org, but when you're on the browse ontologies page (http://umls.bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies) and you click the same definition link  (http://umls.bioportal.bioontology.org/browse/help?pop=true#slice_definition), you get "The page you are looking for wasn't found. Please try again." Same error if you click on that link while you are viewing a single ontology’s page (umls.bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/AI-RHEUM?p=classes&pop=true&conceptid=help#slice_definition)

Question about mappings in a slice:

When looking at a BioPortal slice, does the Mappings tab display only mappings that are to other ontologies in the same slice? Which would mean if you want to do mappings between an ontology in your slice and another ontology in BioPortal, you need to add the target ontology to your slice.

Suggestions for better user experience:

1) If you’re in a slice and click Browse Ontologies, BioPortal should not show you the groups that have no overlap with your slice. Example: I’m in the UMLS slice, I click Browse Ontologies, one of the choices is Biodiversity Information Standards, I click that and get “No matches!” Would be better to not show BIS at all, or have it unselectable.

2) if an ontology has no properties, like Artificial Intelligence Rheumatology Consultant System Ontology (AI-RHEUM), when you click on Properties tab it just says “loading…” . Instead it should say something like “there are no properties in this ontology”

Best regards,

Michelle Futornick

Linked Data for Production (LD4P) Program Manager

Stanford University

Lathrop Library

Stanford, CA 94305

650-704-2053 (cell)