[bioontology-support] Versioning Question

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 14 12:43:41 PDT 2017

Hi Jason,

On Jun 14, 2017, at 12:03 PM, jason marr <jmarr1990 at gmail.com<mailto:jmarr1990 at gmail.com>> wrote:

Jennifer,
Is it possible to download a subject of an ontology? Say given a class, download all the sub classes and properties in rdf? I see the download url in the doc, http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/BRO/download . Let me know, thanks!

I don’t think we offer exactly what you’re asking for. The download link downloads the entire ontology source file in whatever format was submitted to us.

You can retrieve the subclasses of a given class using the “descendants" REST call, e.g.:

http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/BRO/classes/http%3A%2F%2Fbioontology.org%2Fontologies%2FActivity.owl%23Activity/descendants<http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/BRO/classes/http://bioontology.org/ontologies/Activity.owl#Activity/descendants>

The format though is JSON (or XML if you specify that).

You might have a look at tools offered by the Protege project (open source / freely available) [1]. I believe the desktop version of Protege has functionality that allows you to extract/copy/move ontology axioms. It also allows you to save your ontology in various formats.

[1] http://protege.stanford.edu/