[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Selen BOZKURT

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 21 14:32:47 PDT 2017

Hi Selen,

I am sorry you are having trouble with the beta SPARQL endpoint.

One of the reasons we have left that endpoint as a *beta* service is that it is relatively easy to write SPARQL queries that can take a very long time to execute, effectively freezing the server. I'm afraid that means the system may become unavailable for many stretches, as students and other learners often generate these kinds of complex queries, and send them often when they don't seem to work!

So you may want to try some tests to see if basic queries are failing as often as more complex queries, just to be confident your queries are well formed.

If you do decide that your queries should be optimized, you might want to ask the Protege list if you need assistance; that list may have more SPARQL expertise than this list does. (If anyone has knowledge of a SPARQL list, that would be another good place to try.)

Conversely, if it seems the SPARQL server is down, you can email this list to ask us to restart it. We will get to it as soon as we can.

John