[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Taryn Stoffs

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 22 12:01:16 PDT 2017

Hello Taryn,

We import ICD10 ontologies from the National Library of Medicine’s Unified Medical Language System (UMLS) [1].

There are a number of ICD10 ontologies. If I look at the ICD10CM ontology [2], the “Chest pain, unspecified” class that you mention below does have a code of R07.9. Instead, if you look at the ICD10 ontology [3], the “Chest pain, unspecified” class has a code of R07.4.

The data in BioPortal matches the data I’m seeing in the UMLS Metathesaurus Browser [4], made available by the NLM.

BioPortal is currently serving data from the 2016AB UMLS release. There is a newer UMLS release (2017AA), but I don’t have an exact date for you of when we will import this newer version. You can follow any progress we make with regard to the import via our issue tracker [5].

[1] https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/
[2] http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/ICD10CM/?p=summary
[3] http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/ICD10/?p=summary
[4] https://uts.nlm.nih.gov//metathesaurus.html