[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] BioPortal Virtual appliance formats

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Sat Mar 4 21:10:49 PST 2017

Hello Rafael, thanks for your inquiry.

Just as a note: As I imagine you saw at https://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/Category:NCBO_Virtual_Appliance, the Virtual Appliance is also available as an Amazon Machine Instance.

As we have begun working on preparing the next version of the Virtual Appliance, we are looking at opportunities to make improvements, so this is good timing for this request. We indeed hope to make it available using one of those formats; Docker is the leading choice to date, but we are open to recommendations and requests.

Our plan so far is to complete the work necessary to get the latest BioPortal software into the existing Virtual Appliance formats. Once that is complete and available to users, we will work on providing another format, as resources are available.

I hope that information is helpful, sorry it can't be more immediately positive though.

John