[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] BioPortal Virtual appliance formats

Paul Alexander paul at lexigram.io
Sun Mar 5 17:00:05 PST 2017

I think the description on the wiki is a little misleading. The actual VM distribution is done using OVF, which allows the VM to be used in VirtualBox, VMWare, Xen, KVM, etc. There are instructions for each of these here:
https://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/Virtual_Appliance_FAQ#How_can_I_use_the_OVF_image_with_my_virtualization_software.3F_.28VMware.2C_VirtualBox.2C_KVM.2C_Xen.2C_etc.29 <https://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/Virtual_Appliance_FAQ#How_can_I_use_the_OVF_image_with_my_virtualization_software.3F_.28VMware.2C_VirtualBox.2C_KVM.2C_Xen.2C_etc.29>

VirtualBox is a direct import without any modifications needed. Other platforms need to convert the file and set configuration as appropriate.

Best,
Paul