[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Steve Mongin

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 7 11:49:59 PST 2017

Hello Steve,

Twice per year we do a bulk import of terminologies distributed by the UMLS [1].  (They have a twice per year release schedule, e.g., for this year it will be 2017AA and 2017AB).  ICD-10 is one of the terminologies contained in the UMLS distribution.  So, the version numbers for ICD-10 that you see in BioPortal correspond to UMLS releases, e.g., 2016AA, 2016AB, etc.  In order to determine what version of ICD-10 is contained in a particular UMLS release, you would need to refer to the National Library of Medicine’s documentation.  This page on their website:

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/sourcereleasedocs/index.html

… has an alphabetical list of all the terminologies contained in the UMLS.  If you look at ICD-10 on this page, it appears it was last updated in the 2004AB release.

I’m not sure why it hasn’t been updated in the UMLS distribution since 2004.  For more information on that, it would probably be best to post a message on their support list (https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/support.html).

[1] https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/