[bioontology-support] Class navigation and navbar access

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 17 10:45:51 PDT 2017

On Mar 17, 2017, at 1:17 AM, Vincent Emonet <vincent.emonet at lirmm.fr<mailto:vincent.emonet at lirmm.fr>> wrote:

Hi,

The problem with the navigation bar is that it forces user to do one more click to access the main features. And the whole top bar is unused, which is a loss of space

Yes, I got that point from your previous email.  I was asking for follow-up information about what you thought a better alternative design might be.

We wanted to keep frequently accessed / helpful things in the top navigation bar like links to documentation, a link to submit feedback, links to most recently accessed ontologies, links to view account settings, links to log in and out, etc.  Spreading all of this out horizontally across the top navigation bar, in addition to links to main services like the Annotator, Recommender, etc., takes up too much space - even on large desktop size monitors.

However I tried on a smartphone and the menu is not changing to a more smartphone-friendly interface. Which seems to be a bug because you put the bootstrap element for mobile devices adaptation (%span{class: "icon-bar"} )

If the bootstrap elements for mobile devices are properly defined, then the menu should adapt properly to more little screen. And you would not need to put the main features in a dropdown select

This is an interesting bug.  If you resize a browser window down to the small screen size on a laptop, the menu changes appropriately (see screen shot below).  However, as you point out, it doesn’t do the same on my iPhone.  Not sure what mobile device you’re using.  I entered an issue for this in GitHub [1].

Jennifer

[1] https://github.com/ncbo/bioportal_web_ui/issues/40

[cid:8287094F-4B53-4631-B84B-A4A0F63A3523 at stanford.edu]