[bioontology-support] a list of related terms to a specific term

Michael Dorf mdorf at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 31 16:34:44 PDT 2017

Hi Sara,

Thank you for getting in touch with us! Unfortunately, at present we don’t offer a service that would render a list of related terms.  Such a service actually has been discussed within our team, and we may consider implementing it in the near future. Meanwhile, below is a list of the existing services that may be of help in your case:

1. Mapping service for a specific term. This allows you to find the mappings to terms that are related. Here is a sample request for mappings for the NCIT ontology term http://ncicb.nci.nih.gov/xml/owl/EVS/Thesaurus.owl#C82956 (Odontogenesis):

http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/NCIT/classes/http%3A%2F%2Fncicb.nci.nih.gov%2Fxml%2Fowl%2FEVS%2FThesaurus.owl%23C82956/mappings?apikey=<http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/NCIT/classes/http://ncicb.nci.nih.gov/xml/owl/EVS/Thesaurus.owl#C82956/mappings?apikey=><your apikey>

2. Search service. You can use the prefLabel of your source term to search for terms with similar prefLabels/synonyms/definitions:

http://data.bioontology.org/search?q=Odontogenesis&apikey=<your apikey>

3. The Annotator service. Similarly to search, you can use the prefLabel of your source term as the input to the Annotator to see what other terms from other ontologies are annotated with the same text:

http://data.bioontology.org/annotator?text=Odontogenesis&apikey=<your apikey>

If you have specific ontologies in mind that you are pursuing, you can always limit your REST call to that set by passing in the ontologies=NCIT,GO,NCBITAXON parameter. This works for both the Search and Annotator services:

http://data.bioontology.org/annotator?text=Odontogenesis&ontologies=NCIT,GO,NCBITAXON&apikey=<your apikey>

Sorry for not getting exactly what you are looking for, but I hope that one or a combination of the above options will help you achieve your goal. For the complete list of available parameters and other services available through our REST API, please browse our docs here:

http://data.bioontology.org/documentation

Sincerely,

Michael