[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from James Gray

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Thu May 4 17:44:23 PDT 2017

James,

A quick answer based on what I know off-hand:
* One way to tell is to look at each cancer ontology summary page, and at the bottom is a list of projects on BioPortal that use that ontology.
* I think similar information can be found via the API, though I'm not sure the API call off-hand.

I'm not sure how you'd go further, partly because it depends how you identify a "research project". Other ways to learn about relative usage:
* Look at the "more" link under the table of ontology usage on the front page. This list tells you the number of UI accesses to each ontology, which would include all non-API research use,but also a lot of non-research use.
* If you can find a list of projects in RDF, you might be able to perform a search of each ontologies terms against the project's web site.
* The RDF resources in Bio2RDF, particularly about datasets (http://download.bio2rdf.org/release/3/release.html) might be a path into more detailed (searchable) unique identifiers from BioPortal
* Contact us offline to describe in a little more detail the exact needs of your project. It might be we have some resource locally that could help you, but I'm not sure.

Hope this helps -- maybe others on the list can contribute better ideas.

John