Search Mailing List Archives

Limit search to: Subject & Body Subject Author
Sort by: Reverse Sort
Limit to: All This Week Last Week This Month Last Month
Select Date Range     through    

[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from plostaxonomy

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at
Wed May 10 11:54:14 PDT 2017

Hello Artur,

I’m not able to reproduce that error on our side.  It may have been a temporary / brief outage of our software.  Let us know if you are still experiencing that behavior.

Kind regards,

[cid:F22A3BAD-C439-422E-BFC3-0468202EB996 at]

On May 10, 2017, at 6:46 AM, Artur Arikainen <aarikainen at<mailto:aarikainen at>> wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for this!

The software we use to manage our taxonomy didn’t automatically include that declaration, which I wasn’t aware of until now. However, I’ll keep make sure to add that manually for future updates for now, but I’ll also let our software provider know, in case they can add this to a future release.

I’m not sure if the problem is related, but I’m currently not able to access our entry<> (error screenshot below). I can access other entries. Would you be able to have a look at this issue as well?


Best wishes,


Artur Arikainen I Publications Manager (Cross-Journal)
Carlyle House, Carlyle Road, Cambridge CB4 3DN | United Kingdom
aarikainen at<mailto:aarikainen at> I Main +44 (0) 1223-442810 I Direct +44 (0) 1223-446973 ext. 6965 I Fax +44 (0)1223-442833<> I Facebook<> I Twitter<> I Blog<>
California (U.S.) corporation #C2354500, based in San Francisco

From: Jennifer Leigh Vendetti [mailto:vendetti at]
Sent: 09 May 2017 20:10
To: support at<mailto:support at>
Cc: Taxo Team <taxoteam at>
Subject: Re: [bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from plostaxonomy

Hello Artur,

On May 9, 2017, at 6:16 AM, support at<mailto:support at> wrote:

I tried uploading a submission (plosthes.2016-4), but I got an error message, so I assumed the upload didn't work. I therefore uploaded it again, but now there are two entries for the same taxonomy version.
Could you please delete plosthes.2016-4 dated released 03/22/2016? This was the incorrect release date anyway.

I deleted the intermediary submission as you requested.

The ontology file you submitted failed to parse because it’s invalid.  Parsing resulted in this error:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 81; columnNumber: 44; The prefix "foaf" for element "foaf:homepage" is not bound.

This error indicates that the file is missing the foaf prefix declaration.  I manually edited your ontology file to add the declaration, i.e.:

xmlns ="&local;"
xml:base ="&local;"
xmlns:skos ="<>"
xmlns:rdf ="<>"
xmlns:xsd ="<>"
xmlns:local ="&local;”>

I reprocessed the corrected ontology file, and it’s now available to browse in BioPortal.  If you upload new submissions in the future, you’ll need to fix the issue with the missing declaration in order for parsing to complete successfully.

Kind regards,

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Screenshot 2017-05-10 11.53.40.png
Type: image/png
Size: 112279 bytes
Desc: Screenshot 2017-05-10 11.53.40.png
URL: <>

More information about the bioontology-support mailing list