[bioontology-support] MedDRA

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Wed May 24 16:40:55 PDT 2017

Hello Annalisa,

You should be able to get the mappings from BioPortal's API, in the same way as you would get them for other ontologies. See https://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/BioPortal_Mappings and http://data.bioontology.org/documentation#Mapping for more information about BioPortal mappings.

Unfortunately, MedDRA appears to have an explicit license about MedDRA availability via download, particularly for commercial uses. It appears we can not provide direct RDF access without specific permission from the organization that provides the resource.

There are two options you could consider from this point, the first of which seems most likely to succeed (and easiest, and most obviously legal). (1) Submit a request to the providers of MedDRA, asking them for either a copy in RDF format, or permission for BioPortal to provide such a copy to you. (2) I believe MedDRA is available to license-holders of UMLS, in a format that can be converted to RDF using tools that BioPortal makes available [https://github.com/ncbo/umls2rdf]. In this case, you would have to have your own UMLS license, and you would have to convince your lawyers that you are within the limits of the MedDRA+UMLS license restrictions. Obviously if you are not, it would not be appropriate to go down this path.

I'm sorry I can't help more directly, but I think our hands are tied on this one.

John