[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from michelle

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 12 11:09:47 PDT 2017

Hi Michelle,

On Sep 12, 2017, at 8:49 AM, support at bioontology.org<mailto:support at bioontology.org> wrote:

Name: michelle

Email: futo at stanford.edu<mailto:futo at stanford.edu>

Location: http%3A%2F%2Fbioportal.bioontology.org<http://2Fbioportal.bioontology.org>%2Fontologies%2FFISH-AST

Feedback:

When you change an ontology's visibility from Private to Public, how long should it take to be able to use that ontology in CEDAR to create templates?
I submitted the ontology FISH-AST as a Private ontology. A few minutes ago I changed the ontology's visibility to Public. I cannot find the ontology when searching from the CEDAR template creator. I tried logging out of CEDAR and back in, and also tried creating a new template (rather than adding a field to existing template), and still can't see this ontology.

When you change an ontology from private to public in BioPortal, it takes effect immediately.

I spoke with the CEDAR team and they mentioned that they cache the list of ontology names from BioPortal, but that the cache is updated every 5 minutes. So, there shouldn’t be more than a few minutes of delay before you can use your ontology and associated terms in CEDAR. I also worked with someone on the CEDAR team to see if we could see your ontology in the template creator, and the FISH-AST ontology and terms were showing up here.

Are you still experiencing issues?