[bioontology-support] Download SNOMED CT

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 2 10:49:27 PDT 2018

Hello Jackie,

On Aug 1, 2018, at 2:07 PM, Jackie Jia Zhou <dr.jzhou at gmail.com<mailto:dr.jzhou at gmail.com>> wrote:

I have a question regarding SNOMED CT on BioPortal. I wonder how I can download the newest version SNOMED CT data from BioPortal, as I don't see a 'Download' button any where on the SNOMED CT page?

Due to licensing restrictions, we’re unable to offer downloads of the SNOMEDCT ontology source file from our public website. If you’re a current UMLS license holder [1], please contact our technical program manager John Graybeal (cc'ed) offline for possible download options.

Alternatively, you can access SNOMEDCT data via our REST API, which doesn’t require a license. The API is documented here:

http://data.bioontology.org/documentation

If you decide to use the API, you’ll need to get an API key:

https://www.bioontology.org/wiki/BioPortal_Help#Getting_an_API_key

I am specifically interested in the SNOMED CT disease terms, how can I get all those terms?

Here’s an example of a REST call that would retrieve the “Disease" class from SNOMEDCT:

http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/SNOMEDCT/classes/http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.bioontology.org%2Fontology%2FSNOMEDCT%2F64572001<http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/SNOMEDCT/classes/http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/SNOMEDCT/64572001>?apikey=your_api_key_here

You can use the hypermedia links in the reply to explore things like parents, children, descendants, etc.

[1] https://www.nlm.nih.gov/databases/umls.html#license_request