[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Zachary Lutterbie

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 17 16:50:38 PDT 2018

Hello Zachary,

We import CPT into BioPortal from the National Library of Medicine’s UMLS [1]. Due to licensing restrictions, we aren’t able to offer a download link on our site for the ontology source file. If you’re a current UMLS license holder, please contact our technical program manager John Graybeal (cc’ed) to discuss obtaining a copy privately. If you don’t have a UMLS license, they are free of charge and straightforward to obtain [2].

As part of our import process, we do generate a CSV version of the ontology that could be imported into Excel. It contains all properties for each class, not just preferred names and synonyms. You could perhaps use it as a starting point and remove any columns you don’t need.

[1] https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/
[2] https://uts.nlm.nih.gov//license.html