[bioontology-support] programmatic class mappings

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 30 16:14:16 PDT 2018

Hi Ross,

BIoPortal's treatment of mappings is described in https://www.bioontology.org/wiki/BioPortal_Mappings.

Regarding which property to use, that may be tricky in this case; it definitely depends on the meaning you are trying to impute. owl:sameAs should definitely work to tell BioPortal two classes *mean* the same thing, but in principal sameAs means that two classes refer to the same exact concept.  At this point it may be safe to say using sameAs is the right choice for an OWL file. (If the file is really SKOS, than pick the appropriate SKOS mapping according to your meaning above. (I think BioPortal uses exactMatch and closeMatch as the mappings that will generate synonyms in BioPortal, but I can't find that documentation at the moment.)

But if you want BioPortal to know about the mappings, you can't just put that relationship in your ontology, you have to submit it as part of your mappings submission. There are other posts in the list on how to do this, for example http://ncbo-support.2288202.n4.nabble.com/bioontology-support-Ontology-mapping-td4656476.html#a4656479:

>  You can also manually create mappings using our REST API:
>
> http://data.bioontology.org/documentation#Mapping
>
> We have example code for programmatically creating mappings in our GitHub sample code repository:
>
> https://github.com/ncbo/ncbo_rest_sample_code/blob/master/java/src/CreateMapping.java

I hope all this helps.

John