[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from SCDO_BioPortal

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Tue Dec 18 14:26:07 PST 2018

Jade,

Yes, your ontology defines the prefix namespace and its terms exactly as BioPortal is showing it.
line     11:      xmlns:ontology="http://scdontology.h3abionet.org/ontology/"
line 8449:      <owl:Class rdf:about="http://scdontology.h3abionet.org/ontology/SCDO_0000359">

I am not aware of any way to reconfigure BioPortal to make the displayed prefix different than the defined prefix in the ontology, nor does it seem this would be a good idea, since users would be confused by the ambiguity.

If you changed your prefix and namespace, it might have the desired effect, e.g.,
    xmlns:SCDO="http://scdontology.h3abionet.org/ontology/SCDO_"
might create the results you want. This is a very unusual pattern though, I don't think I've ever seen it.

Conversely, you could define the namespace as SCDO:
     xmlns:SCDO="http://scdontology.h3abionet.org/ontology/"
and the terms as simply the numbers:
     <owl:Class rdf:about="http://scdontology.h3abionet.org/ontology/0000359">

I believe this would produce the pattern you seek, and would eliminate the redundant SCDO in the IRI fragment.

John