[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Elspeth Bruford

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 5 18:04:34 PST 2018

Hello Dr. Bruford,

On Jan 26, 2018, at 1:33 AM, support at bioontology.org<mailto:support at bioontology.org> wrote:

Name: Elspeth Bruford

Email: hgnc at genenames.org<mailto:hgnc at genenames.org>

Location: https%3A%2F%2Fbioportal.bioontology.org<http://2Fbioportal.bioontology.org>%2Fontologies%2FHUGO

Feedback:

Hi, I'd like to request a few changes to the page you have for HGNC, https://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/HUGO.

The main one would be that we really aren't "HUGO", we're one of the committees that work under the auspices of HUGO, while HUGO itself has a number of activities that have nothing to do with us (see www.hugo-international.org/<http://www.hugo-international.org/>). We're the HGNC (HUGO Gene Nomenclature Committee), so please can you it be updated to HGNC, presumably you can still alias with HUGO if you wish in case anyone is confused.

Ontology acronyms are unique identifiers / unmodifiable in our system. What we could do is create a new ontology entry with the desired HGNC acronym, and copy over the data from HUGO. You could look it over to make sure everything appears OK, then we could delete the HUGO entry. Let us know if you’d like us to proceed with that.

Also, if you could change the visible email address to hgnc at genenames.org<mailto:hgnc at genenames.org> as opposed to my personal work address that would be helpful. Thank you.

I modified the visible email address as requested.