[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Kellie Fay

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 12 12:26:35 PST 2018

Hello Fay,

Can you please contact me offline to discuss the details of your use case?

BioPortal processes hundreds of thousands of API requests daily, most of them successfully and without outages (according to our independent API monitors). While it is a research system, we are proud of availability numbers typically over 99.5%.

We have often found that if a specific external query engine asks a large number of complex queries, or a whole lot of somewhat complex queries in a short period of time, that can cause the system to become non-responsive. In this context, I note that the Recommender queries are quite expensive in terms of their computational load on BioPortal.

If we can work with the originators to tune the request pattern, we usually see BioPortal return to 100% up time, and they are able to get the data that they need. Alternatively, if our system just can't support the requests, we can give you advice on other ways you could implement the same capability yourself.

Thanks for your request, and I look forward to working with you to address your needs.

John