[bioontology-support] BioPortal DTO license CC BY-SA 4.0

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 15 11:51:01 PST 2018

Hello Caty,

On Feb 15, 2018, at 7:24 AM, Chung, Caty Elizabeth <c.chung at med.miami.edu<mailto:c.chung at med.miami.edu>> wrote:

Hello,

The ontology file (http://drugtargetontology.org/dto/dto_complete.owl) has the license CC BY-SA 4.0 (<dc:license rdf:resource="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/"/>)

On BioPortal (https://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/DTO) I do not see the field (LICENSE INFORMATION) and value for the license.

Can you let me know why?

Allowing end users to enter ontology license information via the BioPortal user interface is functionality we haven’t implemented. I’m not aware of a particular reason for this, other than we’re a small team and providing this functionality hasn’t hit the top of our priority list. For ontologies that do display license information (e.g., ontologies from the UMLS with download restrictions like SNOMEDCT, CPT, etc.) that license text has been manually added to a configuration file that's read by the user interface when the ontology summary pages are displayed.

If it’s critical to display license information for a particular ontology, there is the option of having us add it manually to our configuration file.