[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Joao Sequeira

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 31 12:11:11 PST 2018

Hello Joao,

On Jan 31, 2018, at 6:15 AM, support at bioontology.org<mailto:support at bioontology.org> wrote:

We are interested in using your API to access MedDRA dictionary and I would like to confirm, since this tool will be provided to our clients, if we can distribute it with a single API Key, in the certainty that each client has his own MedDRA MSSO commercial license.

BioPortal throttles (and, if necessary, restricts access) based on API keys. If any of your clients, or all of them together, end up exceeding the access limits or violating BioPortal policies, all of the clients will be affected by any restrictions that result. Please feel free to contact our Technical Program Manager John Graybeal (cc’ed) directly about the best way to proceed to make sure the system continues to work as expected.

Also, we could not find a way to check the current version of the dictionary via API (current version is 20.1 from September 2017), could you give us a hint?

We import MedDRA into BioPortal roughly twice per year from UMLS distributions. We currently have the 2016AB distribution of UMLS ontologies imported. According to the UMLS documentation, their 2016AB release contained version MDR18_0 of MedDRA:

Last year we got behind in doing these imports, though we’re actively trying to catch up at the moment. There are a couple of issues in our tracker for getting the 2017 AA and AB releases into the BioPortal:

https://github.com/ncbo/bioportal-project/issues/60
https://github.com/ncbo/bioportal-project/issues/28

You could look there to follow our progress, or check in with us directly via the support list.