[bioontology-support] Upgrading AWS VS from 2.4 to 2.5

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 5 15:37:04 PDT 2018

Hi Sydney,

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 2:53 PM, Sydney Hoppe <hoppesyd at umich.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am hoping to upgrade the AWS virtual appliance I have from version 2.4 to 2.5. Do you have any tips/tricks, or experience doing this? I am hoping to do it with as much ease as possible.

Here is the scenario that has worked best for appliance users to date:

1. Leave your 2.4 version running.

2. Separately install and run 2.5 so that both versions are running simultaneously.

3. Run a script that imports ontologies from your older 2.4 version to 2.5. The script is “bioportal_ontologies_import.rb” and you’ll need to fill in values for a few variables:

SOURCE_API
SOURCE_APIKEY
TARGET_API
ONTOLOGIES_TO_IMPORT (array of ontology acronyms for ontologies you want to import to your 2.5 version)

Note that this script will only import ontology data to your new 2.5 version. It won’t import user objects, etc. Unfortunately we haven’t had the resources to write comprehensive data migration scripts.