[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from mconlon

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 16 17:02:05 PDT 2018

Hello Mike,

On Jul 14, 2018, at 8:24 AM, Conlon, Mike <mconlon at ufl.edu<mailto:mconlon at ufl.edu>> wrote:

I tried to login to bioportal with the credentails I had created — account name mconlon, email mconlon at ufl.edu<mailto:mconlon at ufl.edu> and a password I had stored. No luck.  I tried to reset the password and it said there was no such account.

I had made changes to the VIVO record in bioportal and updated the record and the ontology file.  The changes had been saved.  But when I went back the next day, the changes were gone and there was no sign of my being an editor for the VIVO ontology.

So I need to start again.  I don’t know if I have an account, and the VIVO record does not show me as an editor.

I’ve been looking into this issue today. I confirmed the behavior you’re seeing that the system no longer has a user account with account name “mconlon”. Apologies that I don’t have a complete answer for you at the moment. What I can say is that we did a bulk import of a large amount of ontology data from the National Library of Medicine’s UMLS resource on the same day that I made you an administrator for the VIVO ontology. It seems likely that the import process was responsible for the accidental purge of your user account, though we need to continue looking at this in more detail.

Unfortunately we have very limited IT support and are without a way to expediently restore your account from backups. Would you be willing to recreate your user account in BioPortal? Alternatively, if you don’t have time, I could create the account on your behalf and you could simply reset your password. Once your account is in place, I can re-add you as an administrator to VIVO.

Sincere apologies for the difficulties you’ve experienced thus far.