[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from fawks

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 18 11:18:29 PDT 2018

Hello Alex,

> On Jul 18, 2018, at 10:02 AM, Alex Fawksson <fawks14 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Jennifer, thank you for your advice. Using children instead of descandants is very sound idea. As for modified API calls I tried using it with parameters you recommended but encountered one problem. PrefLabel and Cui worked but hasChildren doesn't seem to work. If I understood correctly it should have only listed elements that have children but it still included childless elements into the list.

Apologies if I didn’t explain the hasChildren attribute in enough detail.

It’s a boolean attached to a class object that simply indicates whether or not a class has children. Including this property when using the classes endpoint won’t filter out classes with no children. You would still need to iterate over the collection of MEDDRA classes, checking the value of hasChildren for each class, and retrieving the children if hasChildren = true.

Let me know if that makes sense.