[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Joachim Geeraert

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 7 08:01:29 PST 2018

Hi Joachim, Zjamed, other users,

We are aware of the recent frequent failures of BioPortal, typically late at night Pacific Time and lasting through much of the night.

As near as we can tell so far, these failures have been caused by extremely heavy and consistent load to our Recommender service. We are evaluating today how to respond to the situation.

In addition to attempting to find the source of the load, and contacting (or failing that, restricting) that source, we will evaluate transferring the Recommender service to a separate machine, or restricting the number of calls allowed to it. Obviously, if you have recently been making a lot of automated calls to BioPortal's API, we would appreciate hearing from you.

With regard to using BioPortal for production services, we have always provided BIoPortal as a research service. We do not have resources—neither computing nor funding—to provide production-level operations. All of our BioPortal staff are filling multiple roles for the Center in a regular day job, so 24x7 monitoring is simply not feasible.

If you want to provide production-level services based on BioPortal, we invite you to contact us to discuss a contracting arrangement that would allow us to offer you that service with a negotiated Service Level Agreement. Alternatively, Bioportal is available as a stand-alone service (the Virtual Appliance) that you can install yourself, or arrange for us to install and maintain as a dedicated service for your needs.

We will be responding to this list with further information as soon as we have further addressed these concerns.

John