[bioontology-support] Biomedical Ontology down?

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 12 12:26:54 PDT 2018

Hello Allan (and everyone),

We strongly regret these outages; they are not planned, and we are not yet sure of the root cause(s).

We received similar complaints on the email list during that period, and several from other REDCap users, but we do not believe that REDCap use is having a signficant impact on system performance.

With respect to these particular outages, we have had discussions with a number of particular users who have been making large numbers of requests to the system, because for some reason over the past 10 days loads seem to be unsustainable, whether strictly due to the numbers of requests, or other interactions, we are not sure. We continue to instrument and troubleshoot the system to give us better feedback on the issues, which are intermittent as you note.

While we appreciate very much REDCap's inclusion of BIoPortal as a service, we have noted previously that BioPortal is a research service, and can only be kept available on a best-effort basis unless production Quality of Service levels are negotiated. (See for example http://ncbo-support.2288202.n4.nabble.com/bioontology-support-BioPortal-Feedback-from-Joachim-Geeraert-td4656182.html.)

We will notify the list when we have more definitive information to share.

John