[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Baker

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 14 19:03:48 PDT 2018

Hello Sam,

Thank you for your interest.  I'm going to give a general answer for the benefit of the list, our team can follow up according to your preferences.

BioPortal is a community ontology repository, and anyone can add any ontologies for which they have permission to do so.  So you could either encourage them to add it, get their permission to add it for them, or get us the contact information of the responsible party so that we can contact them. The advantage of the first option is that they will be able to maintain the BioPortal distribution as part of their operational workflow, and ensure that any changes are updated and represented correctly as they occur.

While in the last case we are willing to lead the research process ourselves, you can speed up the process by doing any of the following parts of the process: finding a URL that presents the ontology in OWL (.ttl or other variants will work) or OBO formats, determining who the responsible manager is, and getting their permission for putting the ontology in BioPortal.

As a side note, it is often the case that if it is difficult to find the ontology served in a standard way, the authors may not want it published elsewhere. If that is the case, of course we would not be able to help.

John