[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Derrick Lottich

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Wed May 2 10:43:26 PDT 2018

Hi Derrick,

On May 2, 2018, at 5:52 AM, support at bioontology.org<mailto:support at bioontology.org> wrote:

We have a quick question regarding ontology versions. Is it possible to release a version of our ontology in preproduction? For example, we are wondering if we can release our first OWL version of our ontology and test it out before we push it to production for everyone to see. I noticed there is a “Status” field on the Add New Submission form that has the values of alpha, beta, production, and retired. Do these control the visibility of the ontology at all or are they just labels for the submission?

These are just labels for the submission.

If you want to control the visibility of your ontology, you could change the viewing restriction to “Private”, and give read access to only the user accounts that you want to view the content during your pre-production phase.

If you have an existing ontology in BioPortal, you can go the summary page and click the “Edit ontology information” link. This will bring up a form where you can change the viewing restrictions, and add/remove accounts that are allowed to view (screen shot below). At the time that you’re ready to allow everyone to see the ontology, you can change the viewing restrictions back to “Public”.

If you’re creating a new ontology in BioPortal, you can go to the Tools -> Ontology Browser page [1], click the “Submit New Ontology” button, and you will see the same form as in the screen shot below.

[1] http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies

[cid:3868A5D0-6F24-4820-A106-767CF2E62562 at stanford.edu]