[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from afarhat

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Tue May 8 15:01:56 PDT 2018

Sorry that I didn’t word that very well. I’m a developer working on the BioPortal software and am not an expert on the particulars of where the license text originates from. We’ve been importing UMLS releases into BioPortal for roughly five years, which is longer that I’ve been in the group. The download restrictions were in place before I joined.

I read the license text on the page you link to, and it appears that we are in compliance:

"Special licences allow MedDRA’s use without charge in a non-downloadable format within agency electronic (software) tools designed to allow a company to meet their regulatory (adverse reaction) reporting requirements.”

In other words, you can browse MedDRA’s content free of charge via BioPortal or the REST API, but we restrict downloads.

If anyone else subscribed to the list has further insight, feel free to comment.

Jennifer