[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from David Rogers

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Thu May 10 19:16:52 PDT 2018

David,

If I may add a few thoughts.

Note that the older version you add would have to have a different acronym than CTCAE (so your REDCAP system and/or users would have to know to use that ontology acronym, not the CTCAE one).

Something else that might be useful: if you make the ontology private, you could give access privileges to the BioPortal users that need to use it. (For example, if it's all served by a single REDCap installation, just the user that owns that API. If it is multiple installations with different user API, that would be harder.)  Then you and your users would be the only ones seeing the older ontology.

It appears that the identifiers in the CTCAE ontology are defined in the ontology. This is good—it means that REDCap is likely to use the same identifiers from your version of the ontology, as the ones originally provided by CTCAE (then the previous version) to your users. So the data would likely be annotated exactly the same way.

One other thought, before you go to that trouble: Have you compared the two versions? It may turn out that the ontology does varies little between them, and you might be able to get away with using the new one.

I hope our contributions have been helpful, I know this is an annoying situation.  If I could wave the wand I would love versions to be configurable in BioPortal, but that would require way more magic than any wand I can wave, sorry!

John