[bioontology-support] How a tree is determined from a DAG?

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 12 12:35:39 PST 2018

Hello Michael,

Apologies, but I’m not sure I understand what you’re looking for.

BioPortal accepts ontologies in a handful of different formats. We use a tree to depict the class structure. The properties used to display the tree structure depend on the ontology format. subClassOf is used for OWL ontologies, “broader" for SKOS vocabularies, and “part_of”, “contains”, and “develops from” for OBO ontologies.

The class you mention below appears in two places in the tree because it has two subClassOf declarations in the ontology source file.