[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from chen.yang at ugent.be

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 12 12:50:38 PST 2018

Hello Chen,

On Nov 12, 2018, at 3:58 AM, support at bioontology.org<mailto:support at bioontology.org> wrote:

I have a question. BioPortal is a nice API. we can search classes.

However, there are a lot of individuals also in BioPotal. However, they cannot be searched. is it a pity?

Yes, you’re correct. The search functionality only deals with classes. We don’t have any plans in the near future to modify the code base to include instances.

I know it’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but you might be interested to know that there are a couple of REST endpoints that allow you to view instances either at the class or ontology level. They are documented here:

http://data.bioontology.org/documentation#Instance