[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from jambrosiano

Michael Dorf mdorf at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 17 11:29:57 PDT 2018

Hi John,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Due to licensing restrictions, we’re unable to offer downloads of the ICD10 ontology source file from our public website. If you're a current UMLS license holder [1], please contact our technical program manager John Graybeal (cc'ed) offline for possible download options.

Alternatively, you can access ICD10 data via our REST API, which doesn't require a license. The API is documented here:

http://data.bioontology.org/documentation

If you decide to use the API, you'll need to get an API key:

https://www.bioontology.org/wiki/BioPortal_Help#Getting_an_API_key

Here's an example of a REST call that would retrieve the Neoplasms" class from ICD10:

http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/ICD10/classes/http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.bioontology.org%2Fontology%2FICD10%2FC00-D48.9?apikey=your_api_key_here<http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/ICD10/classes/http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/ICD10/C00-D48.9?apikey=your_api_key_here>

You can use the hypermedia links in the response to explore things like parents, children, descendants, etc.

Thanks,

Michael

[1] https://www.nlm.nih.gov/databases/umls.html#license_request