[bioontology-support] Questions about NCBO status and BioPortal

Jeff Lerman jeff.lerman at invitae.com
Fri Aug 2 15:47:26 PDT 2019

Hello,

I’ve been looking at the NCBO/BioPortal web pages and I’m quite
interested.  I’m writing with some questions about both, and the
relationship (if any) to the OBO Foundry effort.

Is NCBO still a going/funded entity?  I did see an (undated, but apparently
from January 2018
https://www.bioontology.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page&diff=12957&oldid=12955)
mention on your wiki that NCBO’s funding has ended.  However, I see that
the email support list is still active, and many of the ontologies listed
at have been updated in 2019.  Is development at NCBO ongoing?

I’m also not completely clear on NCBO’s relationship with the OBO Foundry -
both appear to be efforts to provide a set of biomedical ontologies that
are coherent, in order to set a common language for describing biomedical
concepts.  Is there a relationship (formal or informal) between OBO Foundry
and NCBO (or NCBO’s efforts)?

Finally, I’m curious about the state of development of NCBO’s Annotator.
When was AnnotatorPlus Beta made available?  Do you consider it to be
stable, and is it undergoing active development?  Does the code posted at
GitHub <https://github.com/ncbo/ncbo_annotator> correspond to Annotator or
AnnotatorPlus (or neither)?

And finally: If we wanted to set up a local installation of the NCBO
resources necessary to support Annotator (including Annotator itself) would
that be possble?

I’m happy to discuss any of this by phone or in person if that seems easier
- I’m just up the road in San Francisco.

Thanks very much,
—Jeff Lerman

[image: email_sig_logo_vert.png]

Jeff Lerman