[bioontology-support] Questions about NCBO status and BioPortal

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 6 17:52:03 PDT 2019

Hi Jeff,

On Aug 2, 2019, at 3:47 PM, Jeff Lerman <jeff.lerman at invitae.com<mailto:jeff.lerman at invitae.com>> wrote:

Is NCBO still a going/funded entity?  I did see an (undated, but apparently from January 2018 https://www.bioontology.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page&diff=12957&oldid=12955) mention on your wiki that NCBO’s funding has ended.  However, I see that the email support list is still active, and many of the ontologies listed at have been updated in 2019.  Is development at NCBO ongoing?

Funding has concluded for the National Center for Biomedical Ontology.

The BioPortal application, which was initially developed as part of NCBO, continues to be funded and is actively developed / maintained.

I’m also not completely clear on NCBO’s relationship with the OBO Foundry - both appear to be efforts to provide a set of biomedical ontologies that are coherent, in order to set a common language for describing biomedical concepts.  Is there a relationship (formal or informal) between OBO Foundry and NCBO (or NCBO’s efforts)?

We have an informal relationship with the OBO Foundry community. On the BioPortal side, we make an effort to include and serve all of the ontologies that are part of the OBO Foundry. I would say the major difference is that their set of ontologies is highly curated. You can’t upload an ontology to the OBO Foundry without going through a review process. This is in contrast to BioPortal, where anyone that has a BioPortal account can upload their ontology.