[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Wessel Sloof

Wynne, Robert (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] wynner at mail.nih.gov
Thu Dec 5 10:16:47 PST 2019

Hello,

DSM-5 is a source within the UMLS Metathesaurus [1].

It is categorized as a Level 3 source described as,

‘LICENSEE's right to use material from the source vocabulary is restricted to internal use at the LICENSEE's site(s) for research, product development, and statistical analysis only. Internal use includes use by employees, faculty, and students of a single institution at multiple sites.’

First step is to acquire a free UMLS license [2].  The Metathesaurus download will then be available to you.
The source itself may then be extracted via MetamorphoSys.  This will give you the standalone source to work with.

UTS has its own browser.  Once you are logged in, click ‘Browse’ and then ‘UMLS Metathesaurus’.
DSM-5 will be searchable as a source.

In addition to this, UMLS offers a REST API [3].

NLM welcomes any further questions you have [4].

Hope this helps.
Rob

[1] https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/sourcereleasedocs/current/DSM-5/index.html
[2] https://uts.nlm.nih.gov/license.html