[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Dr. Nitin Ambade

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 18 12:34:10 PDT 2019

Hello Dr. Ambade,

If I understood your question correctly, I don’t think BioPortal provides exactly what you’re looking for.

We provide access to the content of the RxNorm terminology via our REST API. If you add “include=properties” to the query string for REST calls, the result sets will include all properties for terms in the terminology, including the RxCUI property that you mention below. For example, the following REST call will retrieve the “Fentanyl Citrate” term from RxNorm with associated RxCUI property value:

http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/RXNORM/classes/http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.bioontology.org%2Fontology%2FRXNORM%2F142436?include=prefLabel,properties<http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/RXNORM/classes/http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/RXNORM/142436?include=prefLabel,properties>

[cid:D212F35C-E168-47C2-9399-7C32F9E9F1F9 at stanford.edu]

However, the result set for a term doesn’t include mappings to NDC codes.

We import RxNorm into BioPortal from the National Library of Medicine’s UMLS [1]. You might try contacting their customer support [2] to see if the data you’re looking for is readily available in Excel.

[1] https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/rxnorm/docs/techdoc.html
[2] https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/support.html