[bioontology-support] MEDDRA Ontology TTL File

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 24 11:37:44 PDT 2019

Hello Jason,

On Jul 23, 2019, at 4:00 PM, DeLawder, Jason* <Jason.DeLawder at fda.hhs.gov<mailto:Jason.DeLawder at fda.hhs.gov>> wrote:

I am a software developer working on a project at the FDA for government use only.  The system will provide support in clinical decision making.  We previously acquired the MEDDRA ontology in a TTL formatted file.  I would like to know if it is possible for us to generate such a file based on the ASCII files provided in the MEDDRA download, or if it is possible to request a TTL file through this support channel.  Ideally, it would be useful to know how to generate a TTL file from the ASCII files, since we would be updating our index whenever the MEDDRA ontology is updated.  Any assistance or insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I’m not familiar with the ASCII files you mention above. We obtain MedDRA content via the UMLS Metathesaurus [1], released twice per year by the NLM. We have Python scripts that convert the data from their distribution format to TTL files, consumable by our application. The code is open source / available in our GitHub organization [2].

I’m checking with our technical program manager to see if MedDRA’s licensing terms would allow us to redistribute our latest TTL file to you.

[1] https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/knowledge_sources/metathesaurus/
[2] https://github.com/ncbo/umls2rdf