[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Phinit Phisitkul

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Sun Jul 28 09:21:07 PDT 2019

Hello,

The information in BioPortal is strictly about the codes themselves, and that data comes from the UMLS distribution of the Current Procedural Terminology. The data in BioPortal is all definitional; it does not include observational data.

The version of the vocabulary that is currently available was released by UMLS on November 5, 2018, and put into BioPortal by us on April 29, 2019. We update the vocabulary each time it is released (every 6 months), but our schedule for updating BioPortal varies.

You can obtain more information about this terminology from the UMLS CPT page at https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/sourcereleasedocs/current/CPT/.

You would need to contact the distributors of the CPT codes to learn about getting previous versions of the codes.  You might want to start at https://www.ama-assn.org/about/cpt-editorial-panel, or by emailing the contact for the vocabulary in BioPortal: Dorith Brown, msc at ama-assn.org<mailto:msc at ama-assn.org>.

John