[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Melissa Haendel

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Sun Jun 23 17:39:27 PDT 2019

Hi Melissa,

Can you help us with more precise details about your concern?

Popularity based on ontology visits is seen on the front page and the ontology browse page (https://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies). These statistics change monthly based on Google metrics for page visits.

The Recommender (https://bioportal.bioontology.org/recommender) makes recommendations based on a number of factors, one of which is the visit-based popularity.

Are you seeing a lot of variation in the Google visit rankings, and suggesting we should use a longer average of the Google visits metric?  I know there can be significant month-to-month variation in the access statistics for some of these ontologies, as seen on their summary pages.

John