[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Melissa Haendel

Melissa Haendel melissa at tislab.org
Mon Jun 24 19:09:57 PDT 2019

Hi John,

Nice to see you in my inbox.

We are seeing a lot of variability in the rankings. Also there are some outdated or never-used ontologies on the list higher than some we know are more widely used. Is it simply because of people landing there from Google?

This is an interesting question- how to monitor usage. I wonder what a longer period might look like, and/or by ontologies for which someone actually opens the graph or downloads the file?

For openly available ontologies, its a nice metric for popularity that we can use in our grants, but not if the ranking changes frequently and by a lot.

Anyway, there may well be nothing wrong, its just less useful for this purpose then?

Let me know if you want to brainstorm.

Cheers,
Melissa