[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Melissa Haendel

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 24 19:32:57 PDT 2019

Hi Melissa,

Concrete examples will be helpful for me to appreciate your perspective. (For example, sometimes outdated ontologies actually get heavy usage for particular reasons, depending on the ontology. But the never-used case seems very strange.)

Yes, I think these rankings are significantly driven by people landing from Google. We have thought about other ways to monitor traffic/value, like downloads, time-on-page, tree view clicks, API calls (weighted for ontology size, since we require people to page through an entire ontology it makes for more calls), and so on.  I think it would be a really interesting exercise to brainstorm all the options with you, and perhaps others to review as well.

We may have historical statistics, I will see what we can put together. I'd like to get a better idea what causes the variation if we can. Possibly we can change the algorithm to use a longer period of time, but no point if the variability has a long cycle.

We'll see if anyone else chimes in on the list on this topic, and I'll let you know offline if/when I get more data.

I should say, we are likely stretched too thin to make any immediate changes unless they are super-easy. But maybe we can get some data you can use for your purposes.

John