[bioontology-support] Ontology not in the ranked list?

Michael Dorf mdorf at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 6 15:58:18 PST 2019

Hi John,

The ontology rank list isn’t static. The Gist below simply contains a snapshot of the list at the time of the original writing. The ontology rankings get re-calculated internally on a weekly basis. I’ve just updated the Gist with the current snapshot of the list. It now includes the CHEAR ontology.

https://gist.github.com/mdorf/cea96433cf4bf7dd94d109c8e06e29c0

In terms of the results ordering, it only makes sense in the context of a search query. For example:

http://data.bioontology.org/search?q=protein&ontologies=RH-MESH,MCCL,CHEAR&ontology_types=ONTOLOGY&display_context=false

In this case, when there are two results with an identical prefLabel (protein), whose search ranking scores would obviously be identical, the ontology ranking ordering would take effect, making CHEAR “protein" results appear before the MCCL results.

What you are executing is a “queryless” search, where all results are ranked equally by the search engine. The initial ordering of the documents is random (or at least at the mercy of the search engine - Solr in our case). Since we don’t return all 55,201 documents that matched your search but only the top 50, the ontology ranking ordering happens only for those top 50 (random) documents, which, as in the case with the search engine rankings, makes little sense. The bottom line is if you are using the search API to retrieve ALL documents, don’t expect any meaningful ordering to be in place.

Hope this clarifies it.

Thanks!

Michael